Cross Country News
NWAACC Cross Country Athletes of the Week - Week 1
- Jon Smith (Spokane, Sophomore)
-- Event: 6 Kilometer Cross Country; Mark: 19:01 at Carroll College Early Bird
- "Great early season time and a big win versus great competition!"
- "Jon annihilated the field at the Carroll College Early Bird race on Friday. After an impressive showing at the NWAACC Track & Field Championships in the Spring, it's clear that Jon went to work this summer and has emerged an even more dominant runner than he was a year ago. A statement race both for him and for his Spokane team - both look to be favorites to win NWAACC Titles this fall."
- "Jon ran a great unscripted race in the first meet of the year for the Sasquatch. Jon ran with the front pack for the first 3k then pulled away to win by 13 seconds. Even more impressive is that this meet was at around 4000 feet altitude."
- Jessica Mildes (Spokane, Freshman)
-- Event: 4 Kilometer Cross Country; Mark: 14:52.6 at Carroll College Early Bird
- "Freshman Jessica Mildes' collegiate debut was certainly an impressive one as she placed fourth in a very competitive field that included the NAIA's 6th-ranked Carroll College team. Her 14:52.6 time is impressive on a slow course. Jessica is clearly someone to watch for in the hunt for the women's individual NWAACC title hunt this fall."
- "Jessica ran a smart race in her collegiate debut for the Sasquatch finishing 4th against some solid runners. Jessica stayed at the back of the lead pack for the first 2k then moved into the top 6 on the last loop before passing two ladies in the last 400 meters. Great early season race."